“TeslaCrypt Ransomware” is a revised version of crypto ransomware that is mainly targeting video game files. This ransomware uses .vvv file encryption format to encrypt victim’s files on the target PC. TeslaCrypt Ransomware is mainly dropped through spam mail attachments. On successfully installed, it creates a separate folder under the window’s directory containing a file “how_recover_files.txt”. TeslaCrypt ransomware then demands a ransom to be paid by the victim of $500 USD in BitCoin, PayPal or My Cash Cards.
Technical Details of TeslaCrypt
|Description||TeslaCrypt encrypts files, videos, images and texts stored on the target PC and demand a ransom amount from users.|
|Occurrence||Freeware installation, Visiting suspicious websites, Browser Redirection and spam mail attachments.|
|Possible Symptoms||Avoid access to files, Deliver of Fake error warnings, avoid visiting useful web address, Change of browser settings and adding up start-up codes to Registry Editor.|
|Detection Tool||Download the Detection tool– To confirm attack of TeslaCrypt pop-up virus on your computer.|
Intrusive Method of TeslaCrypt
- Download Of Freeware, Shareware and drive-by-downloads from unknown sources.
- Visiting malicious links like pornographic, torrents, suspicious pop-ups so on.
- Opening spam e-mail attachments arrived from unverified person or source.
- Peer-to-Peer Sharing of files, Playing online games, downloading pirated software, infected media devices.
- Updating existing programs/applications from redirected links.
Typical Symptoms of TeslaCrypt
- TeslaCrypt inserts its malicious code into executable files on the infected system to execute automatically.
- TeslaCrypt overrides crucial registry entries causing permanent damage.
- TeslaCrypt modifies browser settings like Homepage, Search provider and DNS.
- TeslaCrypt throws fake security alerts, pop-ups and warnings.
- TeslaCrypt consumes all the available resources of the system making the performance dull.
Methods to remove TeslaCrypt from the computer
If you have TeslaCrypt virus dropped inside, then your computer might also be infected with other spyware and potentially unwanted programs. You can try removing those manually, but manual method may not help you out fully to remove all the threats as they can regenerate itself if a single program code remain inside. Also, manual method requires very much proficiency in registry and program details, ant single mistake can put you in big trouble. Your computer may even crash down in the middle. Thus, Security researchers and virus experts always recommend using powerful and effective anti-spyware scanner and protector tool to completely remove the spyware or other potentially unwanted software from the infected computer system or other device.
Automatic TeslaCrypt Removal solution
SpyHunter has got all the feature that can help to remove TeslaCrypt virus from the infected computer and also prevent the other threats to attack the device in future. Once SpyHunter starts to run in the background, it will keep up notified if any threat or PUP tries to enter. Another feature of SpyHunter is that, whenever you install any new program it will first scan the program and if it is not from any trusted source, it will notify you. Thus you can choose yourself either to go through the next installation step or stop right there.
Manual TeslaCrypt Removal solution
Step:1 Remove suspicious and unwanted browser add-ons, toolbars and extensions:
- Click on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner of the browser
- In the menu choose the Manage Add-ons
- Select Toolbar and Extension tab.
- Look for TeslaCrypt or other suspicious add-ons.
- Click Disable button.
- Launch Google Chrome.
- In the address bar type chrome://settings/
- Click on the Extensions tab
- Find related TeslaCrypt or other suspicious extension and click the delete icon.
- Reset Homepage and search engine.
- Open Firefox
- In the address bar type about:addons
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find related TeslaCrypt or other suspicious extension.
- Click the Remove button.
Note: This can only remove the extensions and add-ons from the browsers. The complete removal means more than this. You must reset browser settings and re-launch all the browsers. It is recommended to use automatic Reset browser option from the SpyHunter strong antivirus tool.
Step:-2 Remove all associated files From Operating System
- Click Start
- In the menu choose Control Panel
- Choose Add / Remove Programs.
- Find TeslaCrypt related files.
- Click Remove button.
- Click Start and choose Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and Uninstall a program.
- In the list of installed programs find files and programs associated to TeslaCrypt
- Click Uninstall button.
- Right click on the bottom left corner of the desktop screen
- From the left menu choose Control Panel
- Click Uninstall a program under Programs and Features.
- Locate the files and programs associated with TeslaCrypt or other suspicious program.
- Click Uninstall button.
Step:- 3 Remove all Registry Entries added by TeslaCrypt
TeslaCrypt creates a folder under:
It then creates the following files:
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \icon.ico
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \ TeslaCrypt .crx
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \ TeslaCrypt .dll
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \ TeslaCrypt .xpi
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \ TeslaCrypt 64.dll
- %ProgramFiles%\TeslaCrypt \Uninst.exe
Next, TeslaCrypt creates the following registry entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain “Default_Page_URL”
Perform the following steps to delete the associated Registry entries by TeslaCrypt
- While in the desktop view, Press window’s icon and R.
- It will open the Run window and type “regedit”.
- It will open the Registry Editor window, Now you need to locate and delete all registry items associated to TeslaCrypt program.
- Go to File<Click Export
- Save the file in c:\ as regbackup. Click save.
- Go to Edit< find< Type TeslaCrypt
- Press F3 to search.
- Once an item is found, read to make sure it is a link to that program.
Press delete to remove it.
Continue pressing F3 and deleting items pertaining to the program, until all the links are gone.
Warning: you must only choose and delete the values and their associated registry entries for TeslaCrypt , others should not be tampered, edited or deleted. At any point you think not comfortable with the manual process, stop it immediately and use TeslaCrypt Removal Tool for safe problem solution.
Step:-4 Reboot the Computer and Run the Anti-malware tool for Complete Removal of TeslaCrypt
Now Reboot the computer and run the scanner to detect any threat or suspicious program remaining inside. If you are not satisfied with the results and still see the issues, We recommend using the automatic TeslaCrypt Removal Tool for complete removal.
Experts Guide To Prevent Future Attacks
The following steps will guide you to reduce the risk of infection further.
- Scan all files with an Internet Security solution before transferring them to your system.
- Only transfer files from a well known source.
- Always read carefully the End User License agreement at Install time and cancel if other “programs” are being installed as part of the desired program.
- When visiting a website, type the address directly into the browser rather than following a link.
- Do not provide personal information to any unsolicited requests for information.
- Don’t open attachments or click on Web links sent by someone you don’t know.
- Keep web browser up to date and computer is configured securely.